Home > News

How to Clean Candle Jars: Quick Tips

Oct. 26, 2022

Scented Candle

 Scented Candle

Today I'm sharing a tip on how to clean candle jars! It's easy to remove old wax from used candle jars, and it's a great way to upgrade and reuse glass jars!


How to Clean Candle Jars: Quick Tip

Today it's time to share a quick tip on how to clean candle jars - including how to get all the old wax out of a glass candle jar!


The first and easiest way to get the old wax out of the candle jars is to put them in the freezer. The used wax usually pops out immediately. However, this doesn't always work - especially if there are wax spills on the candle jar. So I've shared a method that you can use for those messier candle jars.


How do I clean candle wax from a jar by melting it?

Candle wax has a fairly low melting point because candles must be burned over an open flame. So melting the remaining wax is a great way to clean the candle jars. I do this by putting a few inches of water in a pot, bringing the water to a boil, and then turn the heat down.


This will quickly melt the wax, including all the old wax residue on the sides of the candle jar. Everything will melt to the bottom in a neat sink. As a bonus, your house will smell great in the process!


IMPORTANT NOTE: Use this method only with glass candle jars. Use oven mitts to protect your hands as the glass jars get very hot. Keep children away from any open flames or hot burners on the stove and hot wax.

Candle Jar and Scented Candles

 Candle Jar and Scented Candles               

Once the wax was completely liquefied, I made a small "bowl" out of aluminum foil. The glass jar got very hot, so I used oven mitts. If the oven mitt is too bulky, you can use a smaller heat-proof work mitt or just a thicker dish towel.


Pour the liquid wax into the aluminum foil, although everything is still a little hot, and pop out the wick plate with a butter knife. When the glass started to get cool but still hot to the touch, the glass jar was quickly wiped with a paper towel. Then peeled off the labels on the sides and bottom.


Once everything was completely cool, the jar was scrubbed in the sink with regular dishwashing detergent and a scrubber. This also helped remove the black soot residue around the rims and the wax spots that remained after pouring out most of the liquid wax.


If you are painting your can, it is recommended that you wipe it down with a cotton swab and some topical alcohol before doing so. This will remove any detergent or fingerprint residue from the cleaning.

 Find out How to Solve It

Things to remember

Remove the wick holder

After removing all the wax, don't forget to remove the wick holder. If it gets stuck, simply slide a sharp knife underneath and pop it out. If it doesn't want to come out easily, a little boiling water will usually help.


Saving the slim container

To remove the wax from the skinny container, try using a hairdryer under hot air to loosen the wax before using an old chopstick to scrape it off.


Keeping the old wax

It is often worthwhile to keep the old wax aside as you can work on many projects. We'll be adding some ideas to the blog in the near future, so make sure you're signed up for our newsletter so you don't miss anything!

Luxury Gold Black Empty Glass Candle Jars In Bulk

 Luxury Gold Black Empty Glass Candle Jars In Bulk     


If you're worried about fragile glass containers, we recommend using Wash & Go method - it's slower, but you're less likely to break the container.


No Drain

Never pour wax that has melted in the water down the drain. It will cool and solidify, and may eventually clog the pipe.


Do not overheat

You should be careful not to overheat the glass container. If the jar gets too hot, the glass may explode. In fact, freezing the wax and pouring boiling water into the jar both carry a high risk of shattering the jar, so use these methods only if you are sure the container can handle it.


Don't microwave

Never use a microwave to melt the wax inside an old candle jar. The wick holders that hold the wick in place are made of metal, which can not only damage your microwave, but also start a fire.